Excerpted from StrangeCosmos:
1. A lady read a book, turned the light out and went to sleep. In the morning, when she saw in the newspaper that a ship had sunk drowning all on board, she committed suicide. Why?
2. A young man entered a bar and asked for a glass of water. The person behind the bar produced a gun and pointed it at the man. He replied, “Thank you,” and walked off. Why?
3. Imagine you are driving a Mercedes at 100 mph. The steering locks. The doors lock. The brakes fail. You can’t get out! You’re heading for a 1,000 foot cliff! What do you do?
4. 2 + 2 + 5 = 247. Add one small line to make the sum correct.
5. A man on horseback went on a two day trip. He left on Tuesday and arrived home on Tuesday. How could this be?
1. She was a lighthouse keeper.
2. He had the hiccups.
3. You stop “imagining.”
4. Put a line on the first “+,” from the top left, making it into a “4.” 2 4 2 + 5 = 247
5. The name of the horse was “Tuesday.”