Every year, HR professionals share new and unusual stories about the interviews they conduct. People make mistakes, but some mistakes are so over the top that they make the decision not to hire a very easy one. Check out this year’s top 10 list:
1. Candidate answered cell phone during the interview and asked the interviewer to leave her own office because it was a “private” conversation.
2. Candidate told the interviewer he wouldn’t be able to stay with the job long because he thought he might get an inheritance if his uncle died – and his uncle “wasn’t looking too good.”
3. Candidate asked the interviewer for a ride home after the interview.
4. Candidate smelled his armpits on the way to the interview room.
5. Candidate said she could not provide a writing sample because all of her writing had been for the CIA and it was “classified.”
6. Candidate told the interviewer he was fired for beating up his last boss.
7. When applicant was offered food before the interview he declined, saying that he didn’t want to line his stomach with grease before going out drinking.
8. A candidate for an accounting position said she was a “people person,” not a “numbers person.”
9. Candidate flushed the toilet while talking to the interviewer during a phone interview.
10. Candidate took out a hair brush and brushed her hair mid-interview.
Thanks to Joe K.