I have a philosophical position that believes that that the natural entropy of human nature is towards corruption. That is, left to our own devices, people manipulate and bend/break the rules in their societal situation to unduly benefit themselves (often to the detriment of others). As proof, I often cite the 10 Commandments and the prevalent use of the word ‘not’. You’ll notice that 8 of the 10 commandments are telling us things that we should not do…
- “I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have any strange gods before Me.”
- “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”
- “Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.”
- “Honor thy father and mother.”
- “Thou shalt not kill.”
- “Thou shalt not commit adultery.”
- “Thou shalt not steal.”
- “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.”
- “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife.”
- “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s goods.”
I don’t know about you, but that’s pretty convincing to me.
I couldn’t agree more. Regardless your faith or lack there of, these guidelines are pretty spot on!